If you know one margarita recipe, you know them
allImage: Juan Gnecco / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The margarita is an absolute must for any bartender.
It's quite simple to make, requiring only 3 basic ingredients
- tequila, triple-sec, and sour-mix.
And while there are many variations to the original mix, as
long as you know the basic ingredients and recipe, it is extremely easy
to tweak the drink and change it to a strawberry, lime, mango, or
The possibilities are endless.
The two key ingredients to making an amazing drink are the type of
tequila and sour-mix.
I prefer to make my sour-mix
fresh instead of
buying the pre-made kind.
Make Your Own Sour Mix
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar or
- 2.5 cups of fresh lime juice
- 2.5 cups of fresh
- Pour the water and sugar or styvia into a pan
and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves
- Bring the
liquid to a boil
- Remove from heat, and let the syrup cool
- Add the lemon and lime juice to the syrup, and place the mixture in
- Chill for a few hours
Now that you have your organic sour mix, let's look at our other base
ingredient - tequila.
As I've mentioned in other sections of the site, there are quite a few
organic tequila brands out there.
I've listed a few popular and readily available ones below.
- 4 Copas Organic Tequila - Makers of 4Copas Tequila offer
a wide range of tequila that customers can choose from. They range from
white (blanco) to ajenado and various limited edition tequilas. 4copas
Blanco spirit is made from 100% organic blue agave. Infused with lemon
lime and pepper, this choice offers a distinct but smooth taste!
- Tierras Organic Tequila - Tequila Tierras is the first TTB and
USDA approved Organic Tequila in the US. Distilled from 100% organic
Blue Agave in Jalisco, Mexico, Tequila Tierras has won 2 awards at the
San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
- Casa Noble Organic Tequila - If you're looking for an ultra
premium tequila, look no further than Casa Noble. Using mature Blue
Agave plants which are then slow-cooked for 38 hours in a stone oven,
the makers ferment the nectar through a 100% natural process. The result
is a pure, untainted tequila that is unrivaled in its field.
Original Margarita Recipe
- 1 oz. of Organic Tequila
- 1/2 oz. of Organic
- 1/4 cup of Organic Sour Mix
- 1/2 oz. of
Organic Lime Juice
- Prepare a glass by first wetting the edges of
the glassware with lime juice and dipping it into salt
- Fill a
pint glass halfway with ice.
- Pour in the tequila, triple-sec,
sour mix, and a dash of lime juice
- Shake vigorously
- Pour contents into the prepped glass
- Garnish with lime and
To make different flavored mixes, simply add 1/2 oz of the flavor of
your choosing, be it
strawberry, mango, or watermelon
to the mix. I've
included an example below.
Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- 1 oz. of organic tequila
- 1/2 oz. of
- 1 cup of frozen organic watermelon
- 1/2 oz. of organic lime juice
- Fill a pint of glass with ice
- In a
mixer, puree the watermelon cubes
- Pour the watermelon into the
- Add the tequila, triple-sec, and lime juice
- Pour contents into a margarita glass and serve